In Newfoundland and Labrador people generally eat three meals a day. This includes breakfast in the morning, lunch (or dinner) around noon, and supper (or dinner) in the early evening.
Shopping for food is done mainly in supermarkets. Most supermarkets are quite large and carry a wide range of food items from canned and boxed goods to fresh items in the bakery, meat, fish, fruit, vegetable and dairy sections.
Fresh food can sometimes be bought directly from farmers and fishers, at farmer's markets or roadside stands. It is common to find and buy locally grown vegetables this way, such as potatoes, carrots, turnip, cabbage as well as fresh local seafood, such as cod fish, squid or scallops. Lester’s Farm Market is Located at 173 Brookfield Road, Mount Pearl. Here you can buy a wide variety of fresh products such as, milk, eggs, poultry, and fruit and vegetables. To learn more about Lester’s Farm Market visit theirwebsite or contact them by phone at 747-3276.
Some supermarkets have an international or imported food section. Aside from this, there are a few smaller stores that specialize in imported foods from various countries. Contact the Association for New Canadians and they can perhaps give you a list of these stores. You can visit their website, reach them by telephone (709) 722-9680 or visit their office in person in St John's
Mount Pearl has three major supermarkets at which you can buy a variety or fresh, frozen, and processed goods. Some supermarkets may also offer a selection of international cuisine. The following supermarkets can be found in Mount Pearl.
- Coleman’s - 6 Centennial Square, 368-7920
- Dominion - 150 Old Placentia Road, 576-1888
- Sobey’s – 50 Old Placentia Road, 745-8500
There are also a number of restaurants in the city at which customers can enjoy North American Cuisine.
- Around the World – 50 Commonwealth Avenue, 368-3494
- Don Cherry’s Sports Grill – 2 Olympic Drive, 364-4470
- Donovan’s Irving Restaurant – 65 Clyde Avenue, 745-3403
- Golden Phoenix Restaurant – 8 Hansen Place, 364-8393
- Jasmine’s Restaurant and Take Out – 1 Dunn’s Rd, 368-1133
- Leroy’s Diner – 760 Topsail Rd. Mount Pearl Square, 747-7628
- Lucky’s Restaurant - 949 Topsail Rd, 368-5169
- Mr. Jim’s Pizza – 21 Commonwealth Avenue, 368-9021
- Pizza Delight– 15 Merchant Drive, 745-7044
- Smitty’s Restaurant – 26 Gibson Drive, 368-8690
Mount Pearl is also home to many fast food chains.
- Acropolis Pizza
- Berg’s Ice Cream
- Big Cheese Pizza
- Ches’s Fish and Chips
- Coffee Lodge
- Domino’s Pizza
- Double R Take-Out
- Extreme Pita
- Kentucky Fried Chicken
- Mary Brown’s
- Quizno’s Subs
- Tim Hortons