Compost Bin Purchase Program
Backyard composting offers a simple way to divert waste from the landfill. Organic waste is one of the heaviest sources of waste in household garbage and one of the most harmful when sent to a landfill as it contributes to greenhouse gas emissions. Composting is nature’s way of recycling organic waste by breaking material down naturally, mimicking the earth’s natural processes.
Each year, to curb waste destined for the landfill, the City of Mount Pearl offers a compost bin purchase program in partnership with the MMSB! Please note the following details for 2023:
- The city has a limited number of tumbler compost bins available for sale to residents.
- To be eligible to purchase a compost bin from the city, residents must complete the “Compost Made Easy” program offered by the MMSB. The program is available online (at your own pace).
- Due to the limited number of bins available, residents are not guaranteed an opportunity to purchase a bin.
- Bins will be released on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- The cost to purchase a compost bin from the city is $50.
How to complete the online course:
- Complete the online “Composting Made Easy” program offered by the MMSB. You must complete a quiz at the end of the course and receive a minimum grade of 70%. After two failed attempts, the course must be repeated. You will receive a certificate of completion via email once the course is successfully completed. Click here to complete the program.
- Send your certificate of completion to email@example.com and include the name of the applicant.
Once verified (you will receive email confirmation within 5 business days), you may go to Mount Pearl City Hall during standard business hours to purchase and collect your bin.
If you have any questions about the Compost Bin Purchase program, please contact Brandon Mullins, Marketing & Communications Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.