Taxes & Assessments
What is Property Assessment?
Property assessment is the process of establishing a property dollar value for property tax purposes. Property tax is an “ad valorem” tax, based on the principle that the amount of tax paid should depend on the value of the property owned. Although income and sales taxes are the main sources of revenue for the provincial and federal governments, property tax remains the major source of local government revenue. Generated from within the community, property tax helps to finance such services as garbage collection, water and sewer, parks and leisure, and fire protection. All properties in Mount Pearl, both residential and commercial, are assessed by the Municipal Assessment Agency and are based on market values. Assessments are completed every three years.
What is the relationship between Assessed Value and Municipal Taxes?
The Municipal Assessment Agency determines the fair market value of the properties in a municipality. After all real property has been assessed, Council uses this information to set the mil rate. The mil rate is then used to establish individual tax bills. The local Council sets the rate, calculates and sends out the tax bills, and collects the taxes.
When are taxes due and does interest apply?
All taxes are due upon receipt of invoice. Each year, all balances not paid in full by the stated due date are subject to a 10% interest charge per annum. Interest is also applied to accounts with a payment schedule, pre-authorized payments or post-dated cheques in place.
The City has a Low Income Interest Exemption and Tax Deferral policy. To apply, please fill out the request for tax exemption/tax deferral form found here.
Where can I pay my taxes?
- Pay at City Hall (Cheque, Debit Card): Tax payments can be made at City Hall, Finance Division, between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday. A tax payment drop box is available inside City Hall for those paying by cheque. Please indicate the roll number on your cheque. Credit cards are not accepted.
- Pay by Mail (Cheque Payable to): 3 Centennial Street, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 1G4.
- Through Your Bank: Payments can be made in person, online, or via phone through your bank. Use the roll number found on your bill as the account number. Please contact your bank for details.
- Set Up Preauthorized Bank Debit: Complete the Direct Payment Service Enrollment Authorization Form and return it to the City. If preauthorized payments have already been set up, they will be adjusted for any changes in taxes. Please note all payments will now be deduced on the last day of the month. If the last day of the month falls on a weekend, the payment will be taken on the following business day.
- Through Your Mortgage: Direct payments by mortgage holder of the property.
Any senior citizen in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement may be eligible for a 20% discount upon completing the Seniors Discount Form.
All applications for the discount must be accompanied by a confirmation letter from Services Canada that the applicant is in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement. Letters can be requested by calling Service Canada toll free at 1-800-277-9914.
For information on mil rates, please view the schedule of rates and fees, located on the City’s budget webpage.
For information on taxation, contact the City by phone at 748-1039 or 748-1078, or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on assessments, visit Municipal Assessment Agency.