Garbage & Recycling
The City of Mount Pearl requires all residents to use clear garbage bags for household garbage. This mandatory program allows the City to ensure that residents recycle and dispose of household hazardous waste properly. Clear garbage bags have a positive impact on the environment by keeping unnecessary waste out of the landfill. For more information, please view the Clear Garbage Bag Frequently Asked Questions.
How it works
|1.||Place household garbage in clear bags. Place recyclables in blue bags.|
|2.||Place privacy items in non-transparent bags. Two small, non-transparent bags (for disposal of sensitive materials) are allowed per cart on each collection day. The privacy bags must be placed inside your cart and must be no larger than 54.9 cm x 58.4 cm (21.6 in x 23 in). An example of a privacy bag would be a plastic grocery bag or a white kitchen catcher.|
|3.||Place garbage bags and privacy bags in your cart. On collection day, place cart on the street with wheels against the curb, or for residents on Ruth Avenue, Commonwealth Avenue and Topsail Road, please place cart at the end of your driveway. The blue recycling bags should be placed one metre away.|
View the 2020 Garbage and Recycling Guide
Regular household garbage and recycling is collected once a week, from Tuesday to Friday, with each street receiving collection on a specific day. To view your regular garbage and recycling collection day, simply select your street from the drop down menu.
Statutory Holiday Schedule
For statutory holidays, alternate garbage and recycling collection days are used, as indicated below.
|Regular Collection Day||Revised Collection Day|
|Tuesday||There are no statutory holidays affecting your schedule in 2020.|
|Wednesday||CHRISTMAS DAY 2019: Collection on Wednesday, December 25, 2019 will be moved to Friday, December 27, 2019.
NEW YEAR’S DAY 2020: Collection on Wednesday, January 1, 2020, will be moved to Thursday, January 2, 2020.
CANADA DAY: Collection on Wednesday, July 1, 2020, will be moved to Thursday, July 2, 2020.
REGATTA DAY: If Regatta Day proceeds on Wednesday, August 5, 2020, collection will be moved to Thursday August 6, 2020. Otherwise, garbage and recycling will be collected as per usual.
REMEMBRANCE DAY: Collection on Wednesday, November 11, 2020, will be moved to Thursday, November 12, 2020.
|Thursday||BOXING DAY: Collection on Thursday, December 26, 2019 will be moved to Monday, December 30, 2019.|
|Friday||GOOD FRIDAY: Collection on Friday, April 10, 2020, will be moved to Monday, April 13, 2020.
CHRISTMAS DAY 2020: Collection on Friday, December 25, 2020, will be moved to Tuesday, December 29, 2020.
NEW YEAR’S DAY 2021: Collection on Friday, January 1, 2021, will be moved to Monday, January 4, 2021.
Guidelines for Household Garbage
- Only household garbage placed inside a cart provided by the City will be collected.
- Carts must be placed to the curb by 8 a.m. on your collection day. Carts should not be placed at the curb before 8 p.m. on the evening prior to your collection day.
- Cart lid must be completely closed.
- Cart weight must not exceed 136kg (300lbs).
- Cart should be placed on your property by the curb.
- Cart must be free of obstructions – at least 1 metre on all sides and 3 metres above.
- Animal feces must be double bagged and distributed among various garbage bags.
- Syringes/sharp objects must be wrapped and secured to prevent injury to sanitation workers.
- Toxic substances, like javex or bleach, are not permitted in garbage bags.
- Household hazardous waste or residential construction material is not permitted in your garbage cart. It can be brought to Robin Hood Bay on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- For more information, please read our Solid Waste Regulations (found under the heading, Public Works) or learn more about the automated garbage carts.
Proper Placement of Garbage Cart
TIP: IDENTIFY YOUR GARBAGE CART!
Windy days can cause a traffic jam with garbage carts! Residents are encouraged to mark your garbage cart with your civic address to make it easier to locate should it be misplaced from your property. (White permanent marker or a sticker works great!)
Remember – carts are the responsibility of the property owner and should be removed from the curb after garbage collection and stored in a safe place.
Contact the Infrastructure & Public Works Department