Animal Control

Lost and Found Animals

Our animal holding facility is located at the H. Neil Windsor Municipal Building, 59 Clyde Avenue in Donovans Business Park. Our Animal Control Service can be reached by calling 748-1016. You can also e-mail

Found on Finlaystone Drive on November 30, 2017. 

Found on Sauve Street on November 23, 2017.

Found on Frontenac Avenue on November 23, 2017.

Grey male cat found on Nash Crescent.

White male cat found on Nash Crescent.

Cat found on Glendale Avenue.

Cat found on Spruce Avenue.

Animal Control

Roaming cats or dogs must be tethered or under the control of their owners when in public. Animals found roaming will be brought to the City’s animal holding facility. Owners will have to pay a fee upon release of their animal. View our latest schedule of rates and fees and our animal control regulations for more information. If the animal in holding is sent to the veterinarian, the owner is responsible for paying any veterinarian fees before the animal is released.

Animal Registration and Licensing

Residents are required to have their pets licensed with the City. Licensing of dogs and cats is free of charge. It is important to have your animal licensed in case it is found injured and requires immediate medical attention.  It could also mean less time that your pet is away from your family or in a shelter. Residents should notify the City of any change to information, such as address or phone number, so we may update the contact information on file.

Animal Adoption

All animals that are impounded receive quality care.  Animals that are not claimed by their owners after a reasonable time has expired (and are of suitable temper) are offered for adoption.

Pest Control

There is no government organized rodent control program in Mount Pearl or in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.  The responsibility for rodent control lies with the owner and/or the occupant of the land, dwelling or business. If you suspect a rodent problem on City owned land, call the Infrastructure & Public Works department at 748-1016 and an inspection will be carried out. Read our public service announcement on pest control here.

Problem Wildlife/Nuisance Animals

Under the City’s animal control regulations, animal means dog or cat. If you have concerns about other wildlife in the City, such as problem wildlife or nuisance animals, please contact the Department of Fisheries and Land Resources – Forestry Services Branch. During regular office hours please contact your district office to report problem wildlife or nuisance animals. After hours, please contact the Paddy’s Pond District Office emergency number at 1-709-685-7273.  The emergency number is not for general inquiries.

Questions or Concerns?

Animal Control Service
T: 709-748-1016