Garbage & Recycling
The City of Mount Pearl requires all residents to use clear garbage bags for household garbage. This mandatory program allows the City to ensure that residents recycle and dispose of household hazardous waste properly. Clear garbage bags have a positive impact on the environment by keeping unnecessary waste out of the landfill. For more information, please view the Clear Garbage Bag Frequently Asked Questions.
How it works
|1.||Place household garbage in clear bags. Place recyclables in blue bags.|
|2.||Place privacy items in non-transparent bags. Two small, non-transparent bags (for disposal of sensitive materials) are allowed per cart on each collection day. The privacy bags must be placed inside your cart and must be no larger than 54.9 cm x 58.4 cm (21.6 in x 23 in). An example of a privacy bag would be a plastic grocery bag or a white kitchen catcher.|
|3.||Place garbage bags and privacy bags in your cart at the curb, and blue recycling bags one metre away, on your collection day.|
Regular household garbage and recycling is collected once a week, from Tuesday to Friday, with each street receiving collection on a specific day. To view your regular garbage and recycling collection cay, simply select your street from the drop down menu.
Statutory Holiday Schedule
For statutory holidays, alternate garbage and recycling collection days are used, as indicated below.
|Regular Collection Day||Revised Collection Day|
|Friday, April 14, 2017||Monday, April 17, 2017|
|Wednesday, August 2, 2017||Thursday, August 3, 2017
if Regatta Day goes ahead.
Otherwise, garbage collected as usual.
|Tuesday, December 26, 2017||Wednesday, December 27, 2017|
Guidelines for Household Garbage
- Only household garbage placed inside a cart provided by the City will be collected.
- Carts must be placed to the curb by 8 a.m. on your collection day. Carts should not be placed at the curb before 8 p.m. on the evening prior to your collection day.
- Cart lid must be completely closed.
- Cart weight must not exceed 136kg (300lbs).
- Cart should be placed on your property by the curb.
- Cart must be free of obstructions – at least 1 metre on all sides and 3 metres above.
- Animal feces must be double bagged and distributed among various garbage bags.
- Syringes/sharp objects must be wrapped and secured to prevent injury to sanitation workers.
- Toxic substances, like javex or bleach, are not permitted in garbage bags.
- Household hazardous waste or residential construction material is not permitted in your garbage cart. It can be brought to Robin Hood Bay on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- For more information, please read our Solid Waste Regulations (found under the heading, Public Works) or learn more about the automated garbage carts.
Proper Placement of Garbage Cart
Contact the Infrastructure & Public Works Department at 748-1016 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.